Château Tanunda Chorus TGG #7 in Top 10 Alternative Red VarietiesTuesday, September 01, 2015
Agricultural Society of NSW (RAS) has released a top 10 list of alternative red wine varieties, with Brown Brothers 2013 Cellar Door Release Montepulciano taking out first place.
The top 10 list was compiled by selecting the outstanding entries of the 2014 Macquarie Group Sydney Royal Wine Show, where Brown Brothers’ Montepulciano also won the Jones, Steains and Waller Perpetual Trophy.
The list includes Sydney Royal medal winning wines with the top five featuring the wellknown brands Penny’s Hill, Serafino Wines, Angove Family Winemakers and Mr Riggs Wine Company.
According to Chair of Judges, Samantha Connew, the wines on the list were selected based on quality (represented by a 100 point score), value and availability.
“It is so exciting to see these new varietals coming through and doing so well at wine shows across the country now,” she says. “They are a great alternative for people who like experimenting with their wine choices and in most cases are eminently drinkable and approachable.”
The Top 10 Other Red Varietals list is:
1. Brown Brothers – 2013 Cellar Door Release Montepulciano
2. Penny’s Hill – 2012 ‘The Experiment’ Grenache
3. Serafino Wines – 2013 Bellissimo Tempranillo
4. Angove Family Winemakers – 2013 Alternatus Tempranillo
5. Mr Riggs Wine Company – 2012 Montepulciano D’ Adelaide Hills
6. Running with Bulls – 2012 Wrattonbully Tempranillo
7. Chateau Tanunda – 2012 Chorus Tempranillo Garnacha Graciano
8. Nugan Estate – 2009 Manuka Grove Durif
9. Redgate Wines – 2012 Cabernet Franc
10. Tintara Wines – 2012 Granache Mataro
DOWNLOADSDownload PDF Article Here